Thursday, January 25, 2007

Follow Your Bliss

"If you follow your bliss, you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. Wherever you are -- if you are following your bliss, you are enjoying that refreshment, that life within you, all the time. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in the field of your bliss, and they open the doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be.

"Now, I came to this idea of bliss because in Sanskrit, which is the great spiritual language of the world, there are three terms that represent the brink, the jumping-off place to the ocean of transcendence: sat-chit-ananda. The word "Sat" means being. "Chit" means consciousness. "Ananda" means bliss or rapture. I thought, 'I don't know whether my consciousness is proper consciousness or not; I don't know whether what I know of my being is my proper being or not; but I do know where my rapture is. So let me hang on to rapture, and that will bring me both my consciousness and my being.' I think it worked."

- Joseph Campbell, "The Power of Myth"

4 comments:

Ancilla said...

listen to your heart :)

Pam said...

Have you ever noticed that when you go against your integrity, things go 'wrong'? I know of some people that became physically ill because of that! Truly affirms how important, how valuable, it is to our well being that we follow our bliss.

CG said...

Well I was about to quote Oscar Wilde in my blog today. Weird isn't it? I missed your blog I am going to try and catch up... Bisous

B said...

Ancilla...yes, following one's heart is incredibly sound advice. And yet, why do so many overlook that?

Pam...I agree completely. Things do go wrong when I betray my integrity. And the consequences do manifest themselves in both physical and emotional ways. It seems so simple in theory, to follow one's bliss, but we allow that to get complicated by all these other exterior and often shallow forces.

Carra...not surprisingly, we are on a similar wavelength. I've missed your blog as well and look forward to having you back online again!